Campus Employment

There are three basic types of employment on campus:  Assistantships, Federal Work-Study, and Self-Help.  Graduate students are eligible for all three, although Federal Work-Study is the least common.

To be eligible for funding, students should complete the FAFSA if you want the Federal Work-Study option. Assistantships and Self-Help jobs do not require a FAFSA on file. Graduate students are considered full-time if they are enrolled in 9 graduate credits or more. Graduate students are usually eligible for financial aid if they are enrolled in 5 credits or more.

To seek out campus employment, students are encouraged to:

  • Speak to their Graduate Program Director about assistantships.  See the Assistantships page for more information.
  • Log into Career Services’ Handshake web portal.  All types of campus employment are listed in their job search tool.
  • Speak directly to the Office of Financial Aid if you are interested in Federal Work-Study positions to determine how to request this option when you file the FAFSA.

Students should contact the Student Employment Office when they have questions about paychecks, taxes, timesheets, or other transactional items related to their campus employment.

Required Employment Documents

All students who are hired to work on campus must complete the 2-part I-9 process.  Please review this help guide to learn the process. Also, watch your ECU Email (including your spam or junk folders) for emails regarding these documents once you are hired.

Funding Mailing List

The Graduate School disseminates funding opportunities as they become available through an opt-in/opt-out mailing list.  Students, staff, or faculty who are interested in adding their ECU email address to the list can follow these instructions. Announcements are mailed out typically no more than twice per week.

Sign up for the Funding Mailing List